Do you ever wonder if you’re using the right conditioner for your hair? There are so many options out there and using the wrong one could really weigh your hair down or leave you static, dry, or even brittle hair. This guide will simply break down the common conditioners and help you reach an informed decision before you make a purchase.
Conditioner is used right after washing your hair and is meant to replace the lost moisture from shampooing. It also smoothens the cuticle of your hair and evens out the pH which in turn reduces tangling, increases shine, decreases static, and helps make your hair more manageable. Conditioner is important for all hair types, but not every conditioner will work for your hair type.
Oily, Limp Hair Conditioner Advice
• Avoid conditioners that are hydrating, moisturizing, smoothing, or good for curly hair. These conditioners tend to add too much moisture and will cause your hair to be limp.
• Look for labels that read volumizing, light, strengthening, or balancing. Added protein is a good thing for oily hair. These products are less moisturizing and more effective at removing excess oil.
• When applying conditioner, keep the product off your scalp. Apply a small online casino amount to the midshaft/ends of your hair (the “pony tail”) and be sure to spend extra time rinsing. Often times oily hair is the result of conditioner not properly rinsed. Rinse your hair for a minimum of 30 seconds.
Dry, Damaged, Dull or Brittle Hair Conditioner Advice
• Avoid strengthening, fortifying, and volumizing conditioners.
• For hair that is only slightly dry look for shampoo labels that promote moisture, hydration, smoothing, balancing or curls (especially handy if you have curly hair). These products are great for moisture balance without adding too much to weigh your hair down.
• If your hair is very dry, damaged, and or brittle consider a conditioner that packs a harder punch. Look for labels that promote repair from damage, control frizz, are good for highlighted hair, and protect from heat damage.
If you still feel you need more professional advice on maintaining your hair, along with helping you choose the best hair conditioner, drop by at any of the Play Salons. We would be delighted to help.